Get the Most Out of Your Skincare Products
Many people apply skincare products to help acne symptoms, degrease skin, moisturize, cleanse, and for a variety of other reasons. Little do most people know, applying skin products in the wrong order, or even for the wrong skin type will do little to nothing.
Whether you are wanting to apply in the morning or at night, there are some helpful techniques to follow before spending your next paycheck on skincare products. Get the bang for your buck with these tips from Barba Skin Clinic.
Know Your Skin Type
Knowing the type of skin you have naturally, without any powders or makeup on, helps immensely in determining the kinds of product you should and should not use. When you buy products that target your “problem areas” they will be more effective. It’s easy to decipher your type—simply cleanse your face and wait about an hour, then look for the symptoms listed below.
There are a few different types of skin:
- Normal skin scarcely breaks out, doesn’t get oily or dry, and is smooth.
- Oily skin tends to get oily within an hour of washing the face and there is a visible shine. Oily skin typically has enlarged pores and is prone to break outs also.
- Dry skin tends to flake and feel tight. Pores are unnoticeable and you may have fine lines.
- Combination skin gets oily in the T spot (forehead, nose, and chin) by stays dry around the eyes and cheeks.
- Sensitive skin can be irritated easily by most over-the-counter products, fragrances, and unnatural ingredients (sometimes natural, too). It is prone to redness or looking flush.
- Acne-prone skin may coincide with sensitive skin, but sometimes sensitive skin does not mean you get acne. In other words, acne-prone skin is that which breaks out easily.
Even after you have figured out what type of skin you have, you must use the necessary products (as directed) over the course of a month or so. This is because it takes the skin around 28 days to renew itself.
Beneficial Practices to Use
In order for products to be effective, they must be applied correctly. Depending on your skin type or issue, using a cleanser and toner, or exfoliating before application is necessary. If you apply products on top of dirt and buildup, they won’t work and could lead to worse problems.
When washing the face, you warm water and make sure skin is damp—not soaking wet, but not dry. When the skin is warm and damp, pores open up and allow products to sink in better.
During the day it’s beneficial to cleanse, tone, and apply a moisturizer (if needed). Put off the treatment products until bedtime. Many products are made to be applied at night so they have multiple hours to work into the pores. Always apply the lightest first, ending with heavier eye creams or lotions last. Allow 15 minutes (morning or night) between product applications, this allows each to settle into the skin.
As a preventative measure to all skin types: always drink a plenty of water, don’t smoke, and never wear makeup to bed.
Contact Barba Skin Clinic
Barba Skin Clinic offers a variety of skincare services. Our expert skincare specialists offer dermatological, cosmetic, and acne services to patients in the Miami, FL area.
To learn more about Barba Skin Clinic, call (305) 576-1133.